Monday, February 6, 2023

Kyle Trinh: ServiceNow Scholar

UC San Diego undergraduate computer science student Kyle Trinh is one of the inaugural recipients of the ServiceNow Scholarship. In this Q&A, he shares what excites him about computer science, and what he hopes to do in the future. Learn more about the inaugural cohort of ServiceNow Scholars here. 

1) Why did you decide to study computer science?

 I love the idea that computer science is extremely broad and has many different specializations, fields, niches, and designs that fit almost any other discipline. The fact that it is interdisciplinary means that I can use the skills I learn here at UC San Diego and apply them elsewhere, whether it be in other engineering fields, medicine, or even social impact. Computer Science allows me to adapt and utilize technology to create a brighter and more equitable future for ourselves and the next generation.

2) Have you been involved in any groups/orgs on campus that have been particularly meaningful or beneficial to you?

One organization I found to be extremely helpful was IEEE @ UCSD. They connect a vast number of like-minded students that have given me better and more meaningful connections. Their Quarterly Projects program is something I participate in, as someone who came to UCSD with little to no coding experience. And yet, this program provided the resources for me to learn and apply my skills along with my peers to create and solve a pressing issue. IEEE provides mentorship from upperclassmen, industry opportunities, and wide access to the entire global IEEE organization.

3) Any idea what you'd like to do with your CS degree in the future?

 I would be lying if I said I knew exactly what I want to do with my degree in the future. However, I do know that I want to have a more mathematical focus in my Computer Science by first participating in research in Machine Learning or Computer Vision. Regardless, I hope to be able to apply what I learn at UCSD to promote a more technologically savant society. 

4) Any advice to students interested in studying CS?

Anyone can be a Computer Science student, even if you're not STEM related!

5) How does it feel to be named a ServiceNow Scholar?

 One word: Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment