Monday, February 6, 2023

Justin Yang: ServiceNow Scholar

 UC San Diego undergraduate computer science student Justin Yang is one of the inaugural recipients of the ServiceNow Scholarship. In this Q&A, he shares what excites him about computer science, and what he hopes to do in the future. Learn more about the inaugural cohort of ServiceNow Scholars here. 


1)What excites you about CS, or why did you decide to study CS?

I caught my interest in programming through APCS, a programming course I took in high school. Since I was young, I have always liked to play puzzle games and things that involve problem-solving. When I took this course, I realized that this is hugely what CS is about. I get to use my creativity to solve problems that are not limited to one solution.

2) Have you been involved in any groups/orgs on campus that have been particularly meaningful or beneficial to you?

Groups and organizations that have been particularly meaningful and beneficial to me are the IDEA Scholars Program and Triton Robotics. The IDEA Scholars Program gave me opportunities to connect with other IDEA Scholars and panelists that have valuable experiences that I can learn from. It is also a great channel for me to receive resources about internships, research, and many other important topics that would help me graduate with choices. In Triton Robotics, I get to meet people with similar interests and further my knowledge beyond school academics. Furthermore, responsibility, communication, and teamwork are all skills that I get to practice in a project team like Triton Robotics.

3) Any idea what you'd like to do with your CS degree in the future?

With my CS degree, I would like to work in a software company and develop tools and platforms that would better people’s lives. I plan on diving deeper into the field of machine learning and artificial intelligence later on in my college education. My goal in later future is to create my own business, work on innovative and creative technologies, and create an easier and more fun way of living for people. 

4) Any advice to students interested in studying CS?

Some advice to students interested in studying CS includes attending lectures, managing time with an organized schedule, and developing good relationships with professors and peers. It is also important to stay on track with the learning as it can be something that accumulates up fast and is hard to catch up.

5) How does it feel to be named a ServiceNow Scholar?

To be named a ServiceNow Scholar, I feel affirmed and accomplished. The title motivates me to keep on working hard and deepen my knowledge in CS. Hopefully, in the future, I would be able to work in a leading software company like ServiceNow.


No comments:

Post a Comment