Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Kaleigh Beachler: ServiceNow Scholar

UC San Diego undergraduate computer science student Kaleigh Beachler is one of the inaugural recipients of the ServiceNow Scholarship. In this Q&A, she shares what excites her about computer science, and what she hopes to do in the future. Learn more about the inaugural cohort of ServiceNow Scholars here. 

1) Why did you decide to study computer science?

One of the greatest benefits of studying computer science is the ability to use it for solving problems in nearly any field or subject. The applications of CS are endless, and I am excited to get involved with research that allows me to explore the use of programming with artificial intelligence, machine learning, and computer vision.  

2) Have you been involved in any groups/orgs on campus that have been particularly meaningful or beneficial to you?

Yes, I am involved directly with the computer science department as a tutor for introductory programming courses at UC San Diego. I am also involved with the Society of Women Engineers, where I participate in project teams and outreach. Both of these activities have helped me meet students in either computer science or other engineering fields. I enjoy teaching Java and encouraging students to pursue a career in computer science.

3) Any idea what you'd like to do with your CS degree in the future?

I am still exploring different options with computer science, so I am not exactly sure what I’d like to do in the future yet. However, I am leaning towards a career in industry, particularly a startup pertaining to artificial intelligence and biotechnology.

4) Any advice to students interested in studying CS?

My advice is to get started now! There are endless resources for you to start learning programming languages. More importantly, try working on a project that pertains to something you enjoy. It is a great way to learn and sharpen your skills.

5) How does it feel to be named a ServiceNow Scholar?

I am very grateful to have been selected as a ServiceNow Scholar. I look forward to using the resources and mentorship from this program to seek out and secure opportunities that will shape my future. I am also glad to be part of a supportive and collaborative community of engineering students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment