Monday, February 6, 2023

Kristy Ly: ServiceNow Scholar

 UC San Diego undergraduate computer science student Kristy Ly is one of the inaugural recipients of the ServiceNow Scholarship. In this Q&A, she shares what excites her about computer science, and what he hopes to do in the future. Learn more about the inaugural cohort of ServiceNow Scholars here. 

1) Why did you decide to study computer science? 

I decided to study CS because it gives me the tool to solve problems in which I’m interested in. At its core, CS has an incredible ability to intersect with several, if not all, fields of study, and as someone who is interested in both the social sciences and computing, I am so excited to learn more!

 2) Have you been involved in any groups on campus that have been particularly meaningful or beneficial to you?

 One program that has been highly meaningful to me is the Chancellor’s Associates Scholars Program (CASP). Coming from a low-income and first-generation background, I had trouble adjusting to the rigor of UCSD courses. Being in CASP, however, helped me navigate this transition while also letting me build connections with other students and mentors!

 3) Any idea what you'd like to do with your CS degree in the future?

 Honestly I haven’t quite figured out what exactly I want to do in the future. Though, I do know that I am interested in design, software development, and computational social science. One of my goals is to explore these different fields to one day narrow down my future career plan.

 4) Any advice to students interested in studying CS?

 Imposter syndrome is very much real in this field, but I want you to know that passion and interest goes a long way! Try your best and keep learning new things.

 5) How does it feel to be named a ServiceNow Scholar?

 I feel so honored and grateful! I never expected to be named a ServiceNow Scholar, especially since I had never taken a formal programming class before coming to UC San Diego. I’ll make sure to work hard with this amazing opportunity I was given!


No comments:

Post a Comment