Monday, February 6, 2023

Arnav Dandu: ServiceNow Scholar

 UC San Diego undergraduate computer science student Arnav Dandu is one of the inaugural recipients of the ServiceNow Scholarship. In this Q&A, he shares what excites him about computer science, and what he hopes to do in the future. Learn more about the inaugural cohort of ServiceNow Scholars here.


1) Why did you decide to study computer science?

I decided to study computer science because the scope of the problems you can solve with it is unlimited; there is nothing more awesome than successfully breaking down real-world problems into something that can be solved using a computer.


2) Have you been involved in any groups on campus that have been particularly meaningful to you?

Being a part of the IDEA Scholars has given me a group of friends that share the same interests and similar goals as me. Being able to work with them, whether it be on collaborative PAs or software engineering project teams, has been really fun and meaningful to me.

3) Any idea what you'd like to do with your CS degree in the future?

As of now, my current goals regarding computer science are to continue to graduate school. Current research areas I am interested in include parallel computing, algorithms, and computer graphics; I am overwhelmed by the number of options I have to explore in this field.

4) Any advice to students interested in studying CS?

My advice is to take advantage of the plethora of resources available online to build your skills outside of the classroom, supplementing formal instruction with experience in other toolsets. Additionally, persistence is key; the difficulty you encounter in computer science only makes the success of finally getting something to work or understanding a concept that much more gratifying.

5) How does it feel to be named a ServiceNow Scholar?

Being named a ServiceNow Scholar makes me feel recognized for the countless hours I have put towards my academic success and lets me know that I am on the right path. I feel emboldened to continue working towards my goals in computer science, and I am very thankful to be selected in the inaugural cohort of ServiceNow Scholars.


No comments:

Post a Comment