Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Alex Mosser: from chemical engineering student to Naval Reactors Engineer

Meet Alex Mosser, a chemical engineering alumnus who graduated from the Jacobs School of Engineering in 2022, and is now commissioning into the Navy as an officer. Mosser plans to serve as a Naval Reactors Engineer, where he'll be involved in research, design, maintenance, operations and regulation of Navy nuclear reactors and power plants. Learn more about his time on campus, career trajectory, and role in the Navy, in this Q&A:

1) What did you study at UC San Diego, and why?

Originally, I wanted to study nuclear engineering in college. I've always considered it an underrated and highly misrepresented energy source, and want to do the most I can to change that. That being said, nuclear engineering isn't offered at many undergraduate colleges, while chemical engineering covers a lot of the same fundamental concepts while offering a much broader curriculum and application. So, I chose to major in chemical engineering.

2) Were you involved in any groups on campus that were meaningful during your time here?

I joined a number of groups at UC San Diego, but the one that had the greatest impact on my future and career was AIChE, or the American Institute of Chemical Engineers. In AIChE, I was able to participate in a team which worked on cryodesalination, or the freezing (and thereby separation) of fresh water out of a salty brine. Though a large part of our time in this group was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, we were still able to research new ideas for the automation of our (successful) prototype, which involved learning new programming languages and reading many research papers. Overall, this opportunity gave me a lot of real-world research and design experience, and helped me learn to effectively communicate ideas through presentations and papers.

3) Why did you decide to join the Navy, and do you know what your particular role will be yet?

I chose to join the Navy because it was the best job opportunity available to me. My particular role will be as a Naval Reactors Engineer. The benefit of this, aside from being a stable job, is that pay begins while still in college, allowing me to pursue my studies without needing part-time work. Moreover, there is access to military benefits and (for my position) no stress of deployment. Overall, these benefits outweighed those offered by other nuclear or chemical engineering jobs.

4) Has your engineering degree helped you at all in your role as an officer yet? Or might it in the future?

My role as an officer has not yet begun. At the time of writing, I am still enjoying my final summer break. That being said, my engineering degree will absolutely come in handy in future assignments and responsibilities. Aside from it being necessary to even apply for the job, the Navy will also send me through a post-graduate education equivalent to a master's degree in nuclear engineering. As a chemical engineering major from UC San Diego, where I was able to take classes on nuclear energy for credit, I am uniquely equipped to excel in this post-grad education where other majors from other schools may have a more steep learning curve.

5) Any advice for students looking to follow a similar career trajectory, or considering it as an option?

For any students looking to get into nuclear engineering, the Navy is an excellent option. They offer a diverse array of opportunities, each with drastically different requirements and responsibilities. For those who want to travel around the world, you can become a nuclear engineer on an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine. For those who want to be educators, the Navy also offers positions as an instructor in nuclear power school or at a hands-on prototype school. The Navy has many opportunities that the private sector doesn't, but the opposite is also true, and the private sector tends to have less physically strenuous training requirements. Overall, for those looking into a similar trajectory, my strongest advice would be to stay well-informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment