Tuesday, June 7, 2022

2022 Bioengineering Award of Excellence: Kendra Worthington

Every year, six outstanding undergraduate students who made significant contributions to their academic department and the Jacobs School of Engineering community are celebrated with department Awards of Excellence at the Ring Ceremony event for graduating undergraduates.

The 2022 Bioengineering Award of Excellence was awarded to Kendra Worthington. Learn more about her background and future plans in this Q&A.

What do you enjoy about bioengineering, and why did you decide to pursue this field?

I love that bioengineering is a diverse field, both in research and in its community. What initially drew me towards bioengineering was knowing that I would always be learning something new throughout my entire career, which means that I will never be bored in bioengineering. I also love that as a bioengineer I can serve my community through the creation of next generation therapeutics, and it's this desire to help others that fuels me to work hard and be the best bioengineer that I can be.

Were you involved in any activities/groups/clubs/research labs on campus that were impactful during your time at UC San Diego?

I was involved in the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) during my time at UC San Diego. BMES is one of the single most impactful factors of my time here. It is a community full of people who support one another and a place where every individual can grow and become who they want to be. BMES is also an org whose core mission is to serve our community, and as a bioengineer whose goal it is to make an impact in the world, I loved that I was surrounded by so many other people who have that same drive to help others. Due to this strong sense of community, I served as an officer three times for the org: as Freshman Representative my first year, as Bioengineering Day Chair in the 2019-2020 school year, and as Vice President Internal in my final year.

I was also involved in the Christman Lab on campus for all four years. What I loved about that environment was not only the opportunity to engage in top-tier research, but also the mentorship I received there. Dr. Christman and all of the grad students in the lab have always encouraged me to believe in myself and it was the guidance of them and most especially my graduate student mentor, Holly Sullivan, that has inspired me to pursue my own career in research.

Do you have any advice for current or future engineering students?

My advice for any current, and especially future, engineering students is that anyone can be an engineer. I think many people get stuck in the idea that because they are not a top student, they can't be a good engineer. However, it isn't the best grades in the class or the top spot in a student organization that makes a person a good engineer. It's the passion they have for their field that makes them the best engineer. So, don't worry over the small things like that one midterm in your class you didn't do well on. Instead, focus on the big picture and focus on what you are learning and if you will be able to apply it to real-world engineering solutions. At the end of the day, if you want it and are willing to put in the work for it, then you can and will become an engineer.

What will you do next year?

I am heading off to the University of Colorado Boulder to get my PhD in Biological Engineering with funding by the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program. I hope to continue to do research in biomaterials and one day become a researcher who helps bring the next-generation therapeutics to those who need them most.

Anything else that's important to know about your time and experience at the Jacobs School?

Many students get caught up in the "what if's", especially when choosing a college. However, the thought of "what if I chose this other school for undergrad" never crossed my mind, and that was because UC San Diego and Jacobs School has always been the right place for me. It is a phenomenal school with so many resources available to you that if you look, you will find the opportunity that you want. UC San Diego has been a great launching pad for my future career, and better yet, the Jacobs School is full of some of the most hard-working, inspiring students that I have been honored to learn alongside. I think you would be hard pressed to find a place with people who have a greater sense of comradery and more enthusiasm for science than there is here at UC San Diego.


No comments:

Post a Comment