Friday, January 15, 2016

#ILookLikeAnEngineer: Michael Benjamin

Meet Michael Benjamin, a junior studying chemical engineering who believes we should never fear failure!

Name: Michael Benjamin
Major: Chemical Engineering
Graduation Date: June 2017




Why did you choose engineering at UC San Diego?
As a young individual, fresh out of high school, I was attracted to the prestige that UC San Diego carries, as well as the hunger to learn that the student population has.


What are your career goals?
My major is Chemical Engineering and I plan to work in the oil industry as soon as I graduate - after I've held an internship with a notable company that helps me challenge myself. While working, I would like to pursue a master’s degree in Petroleum Engineering.



Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?
"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."
- The Alchemist
What are three things that are unique about you?
My ability to know that failure is merely a state of mind, my confidence, and my hairstyle.






What does this campaign mean to you?
This campaign represents a voice that often goes unheard. It is breaking the boundaries of the stereotypes about what it means to be an engineer. More minorities are challenging themselves and becoming engineers, so we are already observing a paradigm shift from past times. This campaign aims to empower women, minorities and any group of individuals that encounter an obstacle such as the glass ceiling that serves as a hindrance to the path towards success. Ultimately, the campaign tells the stories of those specific individuals in the engineering community.


No comments:

Post a Comment