Friday, February 26, 2016

#ILookLikeAnEngineer: Adrienna Yan

Meet Adrienna, the next student of our #ILookLikeAnEngineer campaign!


Name: Adrienna Yan
Major: Aerospace Engineering
Graduation Date: June 2017





Why did you choose engineering at UC San Diego?
I want to inspire other girls to pursue a career in engineering, because I want to prove that women are just as capable and can be just as successful in this field as men. Moreover, I want to show that there is nothing to fear in a (currently) male-dominated field. I think it helps tremendously to have female role models in the field and to know that you aren't alone - I want to be that source of inspiration for other females.


What are your career goals?
I haven't yet figured out which industry I want to work in, but I do want to hold a leadership position at some point in my career. This may be a role in corporate management, or one such as the project lead of a group of engineers.





Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?
Yes! My mantra is "The only person you should strive to be better than is the person you were yesterday."



What are three things that are unique about you?
a) I am a great listener.
b) I love baking.
c) I have a (sometimes corny) sense of humor.




What does the #ILookLikeAnEngineer campaign mean to you?
This campaign strives to break down the traditional stereotypes that are associated with engineering majors. One stereotype would be that all aerospace engineering students are caucasian males. However, the aerospace engineering student body at UC San Diego is made up of individuals, including both males and females, who come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.


Another stereotype is that engineers are often quiet, shy and boring. However, I know a great many who are sociable, friendly and outgoing. Not all engineers like hiding in their rooms - we like to go out and can mingle and associate with the rest of our peers as well as anyone else!


The problem is, stereotypes may deter some individuals from pursuing this major, even if it is something they are interested in, for fear of being different from everyone else and/or for fear of feeling isolated. By raising awareness about the different types of people that make up UC San Diego's engineering student body, we may convince those who are interested in a career in engineering to pursue it, and pursue it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment